Sunday, July 5, 2020

2020 Summer Program: "Imagine Your Story"

It's been quite a year so far for all of us. In January, when I ordered materials and began planning for this summer's reading program, I never dreamed we'd be where we are today.

In trying these months to repeatedly adjust my plan for a summer program for kids, I was really hopeful that I wouldn't have to involve any online or virtual programming. But with the way things are, that's exactly what will be happening. 

This summer, I will offer children weekly at-home activities in the name of the Gordon-Nash. Some will involve reading, some will be craft-related, and there are a few interesting STEM activities as well. There are photography and LEGO challenges, fun Bedtime Math games and activities, and a virtual Storytime. To start the activities for Week One, click here: https://bit.ly/2BF5AEM.

I hope there is enough here to allow you and your child to make choices about how your family will participate. As your child completes activities, let us know. You can save your papers to turn in at the library at a later date, or you can show them if you check out books at the New Hampton Community School's Curbside Library on Tuesday mornings. You can also take photos of activity sheets, craft creations, models built, and experiments performed and email them to me (email address below) or post them to a weekly post on the Gordon-Nash Library Facebook page. When the program is finished, small prizes will be awarded to all who have actively participated.

One of the STEM challenges this summer involves videos and craft material from the Children's Museum of NH in Dover. They have supplied us with videos of their engineering challenges and with the materials kits they would have used had they presented in person at the library. I have kits for 50 children. If you would like kits for your child or children, just let me know by filling out and submitting this quick form at https://forms.gle/MHWGA3rTmt6kxS139

I hope you will find creative ways to keep books in the hands of your children. The New Hampton Community School is generously offering their students Tuesday morning curbside pickup of books selected from their online catalog at https://newfound.follettdestiny.com/. Share personal books with friends. Borrow from other libraries. Download to Kindles. If there is a book that someone is really anxious to read, let me know - and maybe we can make that happen. Lastly,  I hope that you continue to read to and with your children this summer and make literacy a family affair.

Please reach out with questions and concerns. My email is below. If you leave me a voice mail at the Gordon-Nash (677-3479), I'll get your message and call you back.

I hope to see you soon at the library. Take good care.

Chris Hunewell (chunewell.gnl@gmail.com)


1 comment:

Gretchen Draper, New Hampton said...

This is great! Thank you so much for continuing
to plan and create outstanding opportunities for
children of all ages in the Newfound area.

I hope parents and their kids enjoy the activities,
the kits, the fun and the care we all share for their
well-being and learning.