Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Young Adults at Newfound

Today it was my pleasure to visit Newfound Regional High School to speak with students about the NH Flume Award. This award is given each Spring by the NH state library association to a recently-published Young Adult book. Both nominations of titles and the votes themselves come from NH high-schoolers.

I brought with me handouts, lists, and a QR code associated with the 2014 Flume Award. In the Spring, students in grades 9-12 will have the opportunity to vote for their favorite books from the list of nominees. But my real purpose in visiting was to gather nominees for consideration for the 2015 award.

Students I spoke with were enthusiastic, polite, and well-versed in current Young Adult literature. It was evident they read a lot! Approximately two dozen titles were submitted to the state for award consideration by the students at NRHS.

Thank you to Kerrie Zick, the NRHS's Library Media Center Director, for arranging my visit and to the students at NRHS for giving your time to talk with me. I'm looking forward to going back to NRHS again!

No comments: