Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Read Across Newfound

This week, I was invited to Bridgewater-Hebron Village School as part of their annual Read Across Newfound week celebrating books and reading. I was a guest reader in Mrs. McLean's second grade classroom. I read two books to the second graders, both about animals. The Circus Ship by Chris Van Dusen is one of my favorites, based on a true story about a ship full of circus animals that sunk in the North Atlantic. This book is fiction, though, and we talked about what made it so - the funny animals, the humorous story, the characters in the book. Next we read Out of the Woods by Rebecca Bond, also based on a true story from the author's family. It involved humans and animals seeking shelter in a lake, and we briefly talked about the likelihood of such an event happening as depicted in the book. Before I left, I gave each student an animal bookmark to color. The students were a wonderful audience with good insights into each story. Thanks to B-HVS for giving me this outreach opportunity for fun with great kids!

No comments: