Tuesday, June 19, 2018

School Visits

Yesterday and today, I visited classrooms at the New Hampton Community School to talk about summer fun at the Gordon-Nash Library. We discussed the importance of summer reading and how much fun it can be. Students asked questions about tracking reading progress and the prizes associated with reading and library visits. I described our Tuesday night family presentations and listed our Wednesday night movies. Each student received a "Libraries Rock!" bookmark to take home with a complete schedule of Summer Reading Program events printed on the back.

Since this is the summer that "Libraries Rock", I wanted to leave kids with a "rockin'" story. I chose Punk Farm by Jarrett J. Krosoczka because everyone knows the song in it! At the appropriate part of the story, I turned on my disco ball bluetooth speaker and played the Punk Farm version of "Old MacDonald Had a Farm." As music blasted and colored lights danced across classroom walls and ceilings, we laughed and sang along to the story. No photos - but here's the book trailer! Many thanks to NHCS teachers for inviting me into their classrooms at such a busy time of year!

No comments: